BE EXTRA (Yes, I just learned this was a thing)
Going that extra step will always put you one step ahead.
Here are some things you can carry with you to make your walking clients extra happy.
- Bottled Water
- Staying hydrated is important, especially when you are out walking around. As a walker, you should make sure to drink plenty of water, and having extra water for your walking client can help them stay hydrated too!
- Someone forget, lose, or break umbrellas all the time. You having one at the ready to keep them dry on their walk from the office to the train station or a lunch date could make you their go-to Walker.
- Live somewhere like Los Angeles or Phoenix? Rain is not usually the problem, but the sun can people inside just the same. Try carrying a parasol. They are effective and fun.
- Keeping some sunblock on hand to offer your walking clients is a great way to keep your clients coming back for more walks, instead of hiding inside nursing their sunburn.
- Breath Mints
- Who doesn’t like fresh breath?
(Do you sneeze when you bite into something peppermint? I do too. I used to think it was weird, but then I thought about it. It’s pepper - mint.)
Knowing the history of your neighborhood, city, state, country, world, galaxy, or universe can help jumpstart your conversations. Just knowing something new can be cool too.
- Specialized Maps
- Maps listing specialized points of interest can be a great way to find extra info on your area. Locations from books or movies and locations of historical or geological events can almost always be interesting. Many of these maps can be found online, like this map of locations designated as historic landmarks in Los Angeles: http://www.historicplacesla.org/reports/8e1be5df-418b-49f5-8ab5-1e4dedd3a8a6
- Even if you’ve lived in a city your whole life, you’d be surprised what you can learn from reading a book about your city. Many books can also be found online and for free, like this one about the secret stairs of Los Angeles: https://books.google.com/books/about/Secret_Stairs.html?id=OKiPBQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Lists & Articles
- If you hate maps and don’t have time to read a whole book, there are lists and articles online about “Thing you didn’t know” for almost any place you can think of. If Buzzfeed is good for anything, it’s moderately interesting lists of facts like this one about things you probably didn’t know about Los Angeles: https://www.buzzfeed.com/yezminvillarreal/things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-los-angeles